Blackie McDonald Communications Pty Ltd (“BMcD”) as the publisher and manager of this website (“Website”), is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, and takes any obligations imposed on it under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) very seriously. As a result, BMcD has implemented practices, procedures and systems to:
- maintain the confidentiality and security of personal information it collects and holds; and
- manage its systems, practices and procedures in an open and transparent way.
By “personal information”, we mean information or an opinion about an identified individual, or about an individual who is reasonably identifiable from the information. Those individuals include visitors to the Website and our clients.
This Policy sets out how we handle the personal information we collect and hold, and should be read in conjunction with any other agreements we may have with you, as those agreements may set out further assurances in relation to privacy and security.
1. What personal information does BMcD collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information we may collect and hold are:
- contact details (including email addresses);
- dates of birth;
- photographs of people at events (and particularly those organised by us or by our clients);
- views and opinions you may have on a range of topics, provided by you in response to surveys conducted on behalf of our clients and/or comments on blog posts connected with the Website.
- details of your visits to our site (including traffic and location information, your IP address, operating system and browser type, which pages you visit, weblogs and other communication information).
We do not keep files containing all of the above information on all people who contact us, or with whom we deal. In many cases, we may have only one or two pieces of data relating to any particular person.
2. Why does BMcD collect and hold personal information?
We collect and hold personal information for a variety of purposes – and different kinds of personal information are used for different purposes. In each case, however, the personal information we collect and hold is reasonably necessary for our functions and activities, including in order to provide you with services you would expect from us. These purposes are:
- to provide you with news and information, products or services that you request from us or which we believe may interest you;
- for purposes necessary or incidental to providing you with services that you have ordered or requested from us;
- to personalise and customise your experience when using our site (including to ensure that our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer/device);
- to communicate with you (including by email, mail or telephone, and including in relation to changes to our services);
- to manage and enhance our services (including on the Website);
- for system administration (including the provision of support services to customers);
- for network analysis and security;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our site that may be available;
- to investigate any complaints about or made by you, or if we have reason to suspect that you are in breach of any of our terms and conditions or that you are, have been or may be engaged in any unlawful activity; and
- as required or permitted by any law (including privacy legislation).
3. How does BMcD get the personal information it collects and holds?
BMcD only collects personal information by fair and lawful means, including when visitors to the Website:
- fill in any contact or registration forms on our site;
- post material to our site or to social media that we use (such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram);
- contact us for assistance or with questions, or report problems with our site or with a service we offer;
- provide answers to questions posed by surveys we may choose to run off the Website on behalf of our clients or for our own purposes;
- when visitors post comments on blogposts connected with the Website; and
- contact us other than through our site or social media (for example, if you email us directly, or send us a fax or letter).
We also collect personal information off-line and in response to surveys that you may agree to respond to, including through the services we provide and the activities we undertake as a public relations company.
We prefer to obtain any personal information we collect directly from you. In some cases, however, it may be unreasonable or impractical to obtain personal information directly, and we may obtain that information from someone else. If you are concerned about what personal information we may hold about you, please see below for instruction on how you can access and (if necessary) correct that information.
4. Can I interact with BMcD anonymously or under a pseudonym?
In many cases, you will need to provide your real name when interacting with us. You may however – wherever lawful and practicable – use a pseudonym (or simply not identify yourself) when dealing with us. For example, if you have a complaint or concern about our site, or a general question about any of our services, you are welcome to contact us without identifying yourself. In some cases, however, if you do not provide us with information, we may not be able to provide you with our services, or respond adequately to you.
For clarification on when you must identify yourself, please contact our Privacy Officer – email@example.com or telephone +61 (02) 8907 4900. (You may use a pseudonym – or simply not identify yourself – when making such an enquiry.)
5. Who has access to my personal information?
Generally, only our staff will access your personal information, and then only on a “need to know” basis. We may, however, also disclose your personal information:
- to people who work for us or for one of our suppliers, who may be engaged in, among other things, filling orders, processing payments and mail-outs, marketing, research and providing support services;
- to clients who have engaged us to undertake public relations services;
- to protect the rights, property, health or safety of BMcD or its staff, customers or others (including exchanging information with other companies and organisations to protect against fraud and to reduce credit risk);
- to our agents, business affiliates, joint venture entities and other partners (including any holding company or subsidiary, our ultimate holding company, and its holding companies and subsidiaries, as defined in section 50 of the Corporations Act 2001(Cth);
- as part of a sale (or proposed sale) of all or part of our business;
- to anyone else that you specifically authorise us to receive information held by us; and/or
- as otherwise required or permitted by law (including under privacy legislation).
6. How can I access (and, if necessary, correct) personal information that BMcD collects and holds about me?
If you want to review (and, if necessary, correct) personal information that BMcD may have collected and holds on you, please contact our Privacy Officer – firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +61 (02) 8907 4900.
We will respond to your requests to access and to correct your personal information as soon as possible (but in any case within a reasonable period).
7. How can I complain about BMcD if it breaches any applicable privacy principles or any registered code that binds it?
Contact our Privacy Officer – email@example.com or telephone +61 (02) 8907 4900 – if you have any complaints about breaches by BMcD of any applicable privacy principles or of any registered code that binds it.
8. How will BMcD deal with complaints I might have about breaches of applicable privacy legislation or any relevant registered code?
We will treat any complaint about a breach of privacy legislation or any relevant registered code seriously, and will investigate any breach of which we become aware – including how it occurred and how best to prevent such a breach occurring again.
9. What steps does BMcD take to secure personal information?
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy and is not subject to misuse, interference or loss, or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example, apart from using secure servers, we implement firewalls and password access and, where relevant, impose limits on who can access personal information.
While we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption software for security, please also note that the transmission of information (including over the Internet) is never completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information – particularly while it is being transmitted to us – so any transmission is at your own risk and we cannot accept responsibility for misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information where the security of information is not within our control.
- If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please let us know immediately.
- If we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access our services or parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
10. Does BMcD disclose personal information to people or organisations outside Australia?
BMcD holds personal information securely on servers located in Australia. We will not, however, otherwise transfer your personal information overseas to a country that is not subject to a comparable privacy scheme or to an organisation that does not implement privacy obligations at least comparable to the obligations that apply in Australia.
12. Who do I contact at BMCD about privacy issues?
Contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 (02) 8907 4900 if you have any concerns about privacy issues, including in relation to:
- how BMCD is dealing with your personal information; or
- how it is being held.
- Please also contact our Privacy Officer if you want to review and/or correct any personal information we hold about you, or if you receive communications purporting to be connected with BMCD or our services that you believe have been sent other than in accordance with this Policy or in breach of any law.
“BMCD”, “we” and “us” refer to Blackie McDonald Communications Pty Ltd (ABN 12051939023) of Suite 9.03, Level 9, 213 Miller St, North Sydney Australia 2060.